If North America and mainland Europe seem too well-trodden for you then you can combine your heli dream with a trip somewhere different. New Zealand boasts several operations, many of which offer individual drops. The South Island is where it’s at, so base yourself in Queenstown or Wanaka, shred the local resorts and when it’s on, check out:
Alternatively, why not go off the grid with a trip to Russia, Greenland, Iceland, the Himalayas or Chile? LUEX Snow Travel offer lots of options, and Elemental Adventure are a British company specialising in unusual powder destinations. It’s not cheap, but you get a truly once-in-a-lifetime experience.
- Sometimes get more heli hours for your buck, especially in the less developed countries.
- Can score first descents in the right spots
- Chance of real adventure
- Often involve an expensive long haul flight
- Harder to just pay for individual drops unless in NZ
- Usually less riding options in poor weather
Ultimately, your heli experience really comes down to the company you go with and above anything the quality of your guide – so look for a recommendation if you can.