Once you’ve mastered the basic grabs – including the indy, tail grab, nose grab, mute, melon – then it’s time to tackle the ultimate grab, the method. This oh-so-stylish trick has outlasted every trend in snowboard history. They may look simple but it takes a lifetime to master this classic grab with real style.
Here are our basic steps, but click here for a more detailed rundown.
1) Look for a decent sized jump with a fairly steep take-off. Approach with speed and pop off the kicker. As with the backside shifty, it can help to have your weight ever so slightly over your toe-edge to get your body in the right position.
2) As you leave the lip, pop and twist your board out to the side like a backside shifty, while bending your knees at the same time.
3) Grab the board with your leading hand and push your trailing hand forwards to counter the movement of your lower body.
4) really bone that back foot out, so the board flies through the air with flat base outwards. The key is synchronising the push of the back leg and the bending of the knees.
5) As you approach the landing, let go of the board, pull your trailing arm in and put your back foot back so you’re heading in the right direction again. Easy!