This season marks Whitelines‘ 20th winter documenting the UK snowboard scene, and as we set out to cover the latest edition of the British Championships in Laax, we thought it would be fun to look back at a few highlights.
Over the coming week – between reports on the latest kids tearing up the pipe and park – we’ll delve into the archive to bring you some choice videos, interview a few of the legends and even solve a decade-long faecal mystery. What’s more, we’ll reveal which UK riders have been voted the best of all time.
The last time we asked this question was in 2007 – when the mighty Danny Wheeler took the top spot – but so much has happened since then that we felt it was high time for another go-round.
“We posed the question to over 100 stalwarts of the British snowboarding world”
So, where do you start? How does one compare the amatuer trailblazers of the early days, the part-time hellmen that followed, and the world-beating uber-pros of today? It’s all subjective, obviously, but if any criteria could determine the best then we figure it’d be something along the lines of these key points:
- Technical ability (What tricks/lines they can do. Or used to do…)
- The Haakonsen Faktor (How far was this person ahead of their time/peers? E.g. Having a 900 in your bag of tricks back in ‘96 is more impressive than doing the same trick today)
- Career Longevity (Giggsy-esque or flash-in-the-pan?)
- Media profile (Have they gained tons of coverage and inspired other riders, or flown under the radar?)
We posed the question to over 100 stalwarts of the British snowboarding world; from modern-day contest killers to retired pioneers, as well as long-serving photographers, filmers and team managers. In their droves they told us who made the cut, and why. Some kept it brief and to the point, while others wrote Ulysses-esque opuses about their choices’ contribution to UK shredding.
Without further ado, here’s #20 to #16. Check back tomorrow for more!
- Best British Snowboarders Of All Time: #20 – #16
- The Mystery Turd
- Best British Snowboarders Of All Time: #15 – #11
- How To Be A British Snowboarder
- Best British Snowboarders Of All Time: #10 – #6
- The Best British Snowboarders Of All Time: #5
- The Best British Snowboarders Of All Time: #4 – #2
- The Best British Snowboarders Of All Time: #1