There was a slight problem this month with the quiz questions/answers. So for those of you who take it a little bit to seriously (there is always someone in the pub who disputes an answer or two, a la Finchy) we have decided to sort the questions out and post them here.
So stick your team name at the top of the sheet and get ready for round one. You’ll have to go some to beat the reigning champions, Nicola’s Müllet.Round one. Missing Link
What links the following? One point for each correct answer.
a) Hips That Rip, Dropstitch, Last Winter, Ro Sham Bo!
b) Half-Cab, McTwist, Lein Air, Haakon Flip.
c) Quentin Robbins, Torah Bright, Louis Puruker.
The following songs have all been featured in snowboard films. Get a point each for the song, the artist, the film, and the rider’s section it was used in (maximum of 4 points per question).
a) “Check check check/ One two/ Spitting in a wishing well/ Blown to hell crash/ I’m the last splash.”
b) “Fresh out the gate again time to raise the stakes again/ Fatten my plate again y’all cats know we always play to win/ G A N G to the Starr’s son/ Haters took this shit too far son.”
c) “He blew his mind out in a car/ He didn’t notice that the lights had changed/ A crowd of people stood and stared/ They’d seen his face before/ Nobody was really sure if he was from the House of Lords.”
Which of the following is the odd one out? A point for each correct answer.
a) Hampus Mossesson, Heikki Sorsa, Daniel Franck, Stine Brun Kjeldas.
b) St Anton, Lech, St Moritz, Kitzbuehel.
c) Michi Albin, Shaun White, Shaun Palmer, Jussi Oksanen, Ross Powers.
The events described in each line all happened in the same year. Get a point for each correct year identified.
a) Air and Style disaster in Innsbruck, the Welsh Assembly opens, Lance Armstrong wins his first Tour de France, Macy Gray releases “On How Life Is.”
b) Winter Olympics in Lillehammer, Norway, Ayrton Senna killed in San Marino GP, Jeff Buckley releases “Grace.” George Foreman wins Heavyweight Title.
c) Travis Rice signs for Quiksilver, Earthquake measuring 4.3 on the Richter Scale hits Kent, Abortion is legalised in Mexico, Arcade Fire release “Neon Bible.”
Just one point up for grabs here – did he a) stomp it or b) stack it? Bet now bet now!Round Six. General Snowboard Knowledge
Get a point for each general snowboard knowledge answered.
a) Which rider has won the most Air and Style titles?
b) Name the longest production snowboard to have ever been made.
c) In which year did Tamworth’s Snowdome open?
Round seven. The Picture Round
Identify the company from the graphic or logo. Three points up for grabs.
Round eight. Geography
Recognise the resort? One point for each of the three resorts represented below.
a) Has a Derby which ends in a debauched party in Bourg St Maurice.
b) Powder, followed by a night in the Fridge bar. But where?
c) Consistently voted best resort in the world, no wonder they’re tuneful on the way to work.Total (out of 31)
Skier in disguise
Almost worth a prize
Lord of the Flies
1. a) All are Girl-only snowboard films. b) Tricks with the inventor’s name included (Steve Caballero, Mike McGill, Neil Blender, Terje Haakonsen). c) Antipodean-born riders.
2. a) Breeders – Cannonball – Saturation – Gigi Rüf. b) Gang Starr – Full Clip – Notice to Appear – Freddie Kalbermatten. c) The Beatles – A Day In The Life – Transendence – JP Soldberg.
3. a) Heikki Sorsa is Finnish, the rest are Norwegian. b) St Moritz is in Switzerland, the rest are Austrian. c) Shaun Palmer has never had a pro model with Burton.
4. a) 1999. b) 1994. c) 2007
5. He stacks it. (see pic)
6. a) Stefan Gimpl (3: 1999, 2000, 2001). b) The Radical (220cm), which just pips Lib Tech’s 193cm Doughboy Shredder. c) 1994
7. a) Ride snowboards b) Ronin (division of Burton clothing) c) Cappel outerwear
8. a) Les Arcs, France. b) Niseko, Japan. c) Whistler, Canada